Park Volunteer Days
Park Volunteer Days, last two Saturdays in April, 8am-Noon
April 23 and 30. Y’all come. The Westwood Board has established the last two Saturdays in April as “Park Volunteer Days.” Most Board Members will be there with tools and supplies to do various tasks. The hope is that it will be a fun event, with neighbors working side by side.
Their goal is to avoid having to hire people, which will allow the park to be maintained and maybe even be improved at low cost.
It has been a long standing policy, that if anyone wants something done in the Park and is willing to provide free labor the Association will almost always say “yes” and pay for any materials and any special tools and equipment needed.
However, over the last many years, except for Laura and Mike Stafford, who keep the trash and broken limbs picked up and for a guy who walks along Traditions Dr. now and then picking up trash, there have been no takers. Hopefully, the Park Volunteer Days will attract more people, so larger jobs can be done.
What follows is a list of work the Board has put together with a guesstimate of what it would cost to hire contractors to do them:
- Weeds: Remove from graveled playground area. $200
- Sidewalk: Fix 3’x50’ leading from Dewberry. $1000
- Paint wall: Seal 4’x60’ wood wall ( 5gal. @ $200 + labor ) = $300
- Paint bench: Power wash & seal 18”x200’ (15gal). $1000
- Vines: Remove from shrubs at Westwood Sign & trim. $200
- Dinosaur: Replace stolen dinosaur. $1500
- Or, build a wood seesaw on dinosaur spring platform. $300
- Sprinkler: Fix it for shrubs around canopy. $1000
- Trees: Fix watering system for trees. $300
- Sign: Replace “Rules” sign on Park bulletin board. $200
- Clear out growth for 3 picnic areas on hill. $300
- Tables: Buy and install three picnic tables for above. $800
- Trails: Trim 400’ nature trail that runs through trees on hill. $400