WECIA Board Meeting of Monday, February 20, 2023
Call to order: 7:06 by Billy Evans
Board Members present: Billy Evans, Mark Coppock, Elaine Platt, Mike Stafford
Others: Anna Schwalen, Walter Kamphefner, Eric Westerhiem, Laura Stafford
Minutes/Previous Meeting Notes: Mark moved to accept as written, Elaine seconded. Motion carried.
Block and Officer’s Report
- Security lights in park- one light flickers, Mike will report once ground dries up
- Excessive vehicles at residences- south end of Westwood. Neighbors can report to Code Enforcement
- Vegetation damage on city lot- Board authorized Mike and volunteers to cut, trim, and stack vegetation at entrance on Traditions and at entrance on Westwood where bamboo is crushed
- Take notes from residents on damage to yards, etc. by Metronet contractors. Board to approach Metronet with a list of damages.
- Park updates- a company is willing to donate money. Board will seek input from residents and create a proposal for how to update park equipment.
- Merry go round- Elaine made motion, Mark seconded for Mike Stafford to refurbish Merry go Round by end of March. Board will give $600 upfront for materials once invoice is received with total not to exceed $1200
- Accounting services- Mike is to make a list of top 10 discrepancies noticed on billing from Association Services. Billy will take a list to services to try to work out issues. Find possible alternatives to Association Services
- Elections- March 20 at annual meeting. Elaine, Mike, and Mark are up for re-election. Elaine is moving so will not seek position on board.
- Annual meeting/proxies- Laura will type up proxy for board to approve. Wording needs to change to reflect that proxy is good for one year. Proxies will be ready for pick up by board members by Friday, Feb. 25 at 7:00. Annual meeting March 20. Mike made motion, Mark seconded. Motion carried.
- Newsletter- Mark will create newsletter with Easter information and also allow for residents’ input into park repairs.
- Block captains- MIke made a motion to create a committee to reach out to current block captains to see if they are willing to continue as block captains. Mark seconded. Motion carried
- Budget- Association Services created a budget based on current expenses/income. Mike moved to accept budget, Billy seconded. Motion carried.
- Mowing contract- Mike made a motion to mow twice in March for $300 while board seeks mowing contracts. Mark seconded. Motion carried. Invoice will be created and turned in for payment in March.
- Insurance renewal- Due March. Mike made a motion for the board to pay insurance by March 1 and get Association Services to get the invoice paid in a timely manner. Billy seconded. Motion carried.
- Easter- Mike moved for Easter to be held on Thursday, April 6 from 5:30-7:00. Billy seconded. Motion carried. Laura will talk with Sabrina about hosting together.
- Eric Westerhiem, 3013 Hummingbird, requested permission to paint BB court for pickleball and for dirt to be brought in to surround court. Mike made motion for approval, Mark seconded. Motion Passed. Eric will turn in invoices for materials for reimbursement.
2023 Annual Meeting: [Changed to Monday, March 27. Inclement Weather make up date: 3/28/2023]
Adjourn: 8:16 motion made by Mike, seconded by Billy. Motion carried.
WECIA Board meeting of Monday, October 4, 2022
Call to order: 7:10 by Billy Evans
Board Members present: Billy, Mark, Mike
Others: Laura Stafford, Sabrina Clark
Minutes/Previous Meeting Notes: no action taken
- $31,000 current balance.
Block and Officer’s Report
- Possible squatter
- Power Service Pole- new pole installed, but not in service
- Action on Top Debtors: Action occurring with 50% on list
- Park Improvements in Progress:leak by water fountain repaired. Water is back on.
Halloween event planning
- National Night Out. 82 residents in attendance. City Council Representatives came out to introduce themselves. BPD sent officers. Constable was in attendance. BISD Student Ambassadors explained the association with Habitat for Humanity to empower our students to give back.
- Halloween- Sabrina will host. Pizza and water. Billy will work out deal with Pizza Hut. Prizes for 4 age groups. Infant to Pre-K- goodie bags for all, K-2nd, 3rd-5th, 5th-HS, Over 18 will be included for first time ever! Winners will get gift cards for two categories TBD at night of event. Categories may include: best homemade, scariest, funniest, cutest, etc. Prizes will be $20 gift cards from local businesses
- Laura will ask BISD student ambassadors to help with both events while promoting Habitat for Humanity- BISD has committed students to help set up, judge, and clean up.
Oct. 31 in park, following Halloween event.
Adjourn: Motion made by Mike, seconded by Mark. Adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Fall 2022 Newsletter
Hopefully you’ve received a newsletter by now. If not, or it you’ve misplaced it, you may download it here.
WECIA Board meeting of Monday, Sept. 12, 2022
Call to order: 7:04 by Billy Evans
Board Members present: Billy, Elaine, Mark, Mike
Others: Laura Stafford, 3009 Westwood; Sabrina
Minutes/Previous Meeting Notes: motion made by Mike Stafford, seconded by Mark Coppock, Motion carried after correcting the spelling of resident’s name
$31,939.52 current balance. Elaine is working on getting last 6 months statements and reviewing them. This is in progress. Billy will upload into Trello
Block and Officer’s Report
- Snakes are out and about
- Trash from the Aggie Shacks by bridge. Elaine reported to Code Enforcement after cleaning up 3 bags.
- Power Service Pole- 2 bids- Univ. Electric Service $1505 and BCA Electric at $1405, but bid is from March. Billy made a motion to accept bid up to $1650 with installation. Board appointed Billy to oversee installation. Billy will vet bidders and follow through. Mike is clearing around old pole to allow for access.
- Action on Top Debtors: Association services will be authorized to collect fees via attorneys for owners in arrears over $300. Mike will speak with Association Services to direct them to proceed.
- Neighborhood Watch signage: City only ordered 4 signs and will order 5 more. City will install.
- Park Improvements in Progress:leak by water fountain in progress. Mike will submit proposal for repairing/refurbishing merry go round with both powder coat and with paint by next meeting.
- Newsletter- Mark in charge. Goes out 2 times per year. Board will approve and it will go out with next event fliers.
- National Night Out: Sabrina will host National Night Out and Halloween. Elaine will register with City. Mike made motion to cap food costs at $500.Chile, hot dogs, frito pies, water, capri,cookies. Billy made motion to approve. Motion carried. Sabrina will create flier with 2 sides- national Night out/Halloween. Mike will get 200 copies and pass out to block captains.
- Halloween: Sabrina will host. Pizza and water. Billy will work out deal with Pizza Hut. Prizes for 4 age groups. Infant to Pre-K- goodie bags for all, K-2nd, 3rd-6th, 7th and up will get gift cards for two categories TBD at night of event. Categories may include: best homemade, scariest, funniest, cutest, etc.
- Laura will ask BISD student ambassadors to help with both events while promoting Habitat for Humanity.
- Billy suggested new water lines for park. Will need bids from plumbers to determine feasibility.
Oct. 4 at 7:00 in park, following National Night Out
Adjourn: Motion made by Mike, seconded by Mark. Adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
WECIA Board meeting of Monday, June 20, 2022
Call to order: 7:01 by John Byers
Board Members present: Billy, John, Mark, Mike
Others: Patti, of Rolling Glenn; Amy, of Hummingbird; Laura Stafford, 3009 Westwood Main
Minutes/Previous Meeting Notes: motion made by John Byers, seconded by Mike Stafford, Motion carried, with the correct spelling of Billy’s name
$8000 gross net since May. Income from dues being paid. Elaine is working on getting last 6 months statements and reviewing them. This is in progress.
Current Dues = $80 year.
Block and Officer’s Report
Homeowner suggested speed bumps for speeders on Westwood Main
Mike requests temporary radars each year at start of school, and higher police presence
Complaints about vehicles on blind curve. Mike will talk with B. Bean about possibly painting curb red on one side
Complaints about overgrown trees and brush by 4-plexes. Mike will speak with Gene Savage about cutting it back.
Mike will connect with NET officer regarding complaints as well.
Power Service Pole – 2 bids- Univ. Electric Service $1505 and BCA Electric at $1405, but bid is from March. Billy made a motion to accept bid up to $1650 with installation by Sept. 1. Board appointed Billy to oversee installation. Billy will vet bidders and follow through. Motion made by Billy, MIke seconded motion, motion carried. We may be tax free. Mike will check on this.
Action on Top Debtors: Association services will be authorized to collect fees via attorneys for owners in arrears over $300. Motion made by Mike, seconded by Mark, motion carried. Mike will speak with Association Services to direct them to proceed.
Neighborhood Watch signage: B. Bean with city of Bryan is in progress of getting costs to replace the signage. Mark took pictures of all old, faded signs. Mike working on costs with board approval up to $350.00. In addition, Mike is trying to get Community of Bryan signage for Tradition entrance and for North Westwood entrance.
Park Improvements in Progress: new hoses, weed killer, and ant poison purchased. New trash can still in progress. Merry go Round needs repairs. Mike will check costs to repair rusty pieces, new bearings, and paint. Bid due at September meeting
Newsletter – Mark will be in charge and be “voice” for the board. Newsletter will be 2-sided and be ready before National Night Out. Mike will ask Sabrina if she will host National Night Out and Halloween. Patti will be glad to pass out Rolling Glen or any street needed.
September 12 at 7:00 in park
Adjourn: Motion made by Billy, seconded by Mark. Adjourned at 8:02
Association Services is the Westwood Estates management company
Realtors, Title Companies, et al.: Association Services handles all business for Westwood Estates Community Improvement Association.
1701 Southwest Pwky Ste 209
College Station, TX 77840
The 2013 Annual Meeting is Mon. Jan. 21
UPDATE: Annual Meeting Agenda (PDF)
Dear Property Owner,
The annual meeting for Westwood Estates is scheduled for Monday 21 January 2013 at Mary Branch Elementary cafeteria at 7:00 pm. Attached is a Proxy* for voting consideration. We ask that you complete it and return it to the Association by (choose any one):
- faxing it to 979 779 3654
- returning it to your block captain or Board member prior to the Annual Meeting.
- or emailing it as a scanned document to email@example.com.
In addition to other Association business, the following items will be covered:
- Revising the Westwood Estates Deed Restrictions. See the proposed updated Deed Restrictions here (PDF). Each change is noted in bold with “Yes/No” checkboxes for you to indicate your approval/disapproval of each proposed revision.
- Late HOA dues and the status of the Board’s efforts to collect overdue accounts.
- The fiscal report will be submitted by the Treasurer.
- Elections of new Board members.
If you are able to attend the meeting, your Proxy will be returned to you. Please provide us an email address so you can be added to our mailing list. We frequently update our web site with important information and you will be automatically updated via email.
* There was originally a typo in the proxy posted 1-8-2013. It is fixed now.
Neighborhood Night Out Block Party Tuesday 6-8 in the Park
This year we’ll be meeting as a neighborhood; all blocks invited to come together for a Westwood Estates All-Block Party in the Park from 6:00 – 8:00pm this Tuesday Oct. 2!
We’ll have plenty of food cooked outdoors thanks to Mike and Laura Stafford. Bryan Police Neighborhood Enforcement Team Officer Mike Watson is scheduled to come to meet neighbors, give us advice on keeping Westwood Estates safe and to answer questions we may have.
But one of the most important reasons for National Night Out is to meet our neighbors, and be ready to help each other keep a close watch on each others’ properties and vehicles.
And maybe to make new friends! We hope to see you Tuesday 6-8 in the Park!
New address for website
While the original one will still work, the new one should be easier to remember and share with your neighbors:
You can type the “www.” before it if you like, but no need. It’ll work as shown above.
Proposed updates to the Deed Restrictions
As we stated leading up to our annual meeting,
With the coming of the Health Science Center and the Biomedical Corridor, our neighborhood has the potential to see substantial increase in the value of our homes. Not staying current on our paperwork can and almost certainly will cost each of us by reducing or limiting our property values. Our deed restrictions and bylaws are over 25 years old. They need updating.
Our current Deed Restrictions are posted here.
Here is a PDF with some current suggested revisions: WECIA Updated Deed Restrictions- public comment. This shows where the currently-suggested changes are.
If you’d like, please
- leave a comment on this page and/or
- contact the Board by email, and/or
- attend our next meeting to discuss.